DID YOU KNOW? Carpets can be health hazard hotspots. They are likely to carry a heavy burden of dust mites, dirt, pesticides and other toxins brought in on shoes, feet and pets. Carpets can hold eight times their weight in toxin-filled trapped dirt that is well hidden in the fibers and underneath the carpet. The EPA has stated that 80% of human exposure to pesticides occurs indoors. Every time you spray for bugs or use a fogger, the chemicals settle in your carpet and remain there for years.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Choose hardwood floors where possible! If you have carpet, use a two-step plan of action; begin by vacuuming, then use a natural carpet freshener made with your favourite essential oil and baking soda.
DID YOU KNOW? Traditional cleaning products contain chemicals that can be found in the bloodstreams of newborn babies. Many of those chemicals have been connected to all sorts of health-related problems and since children spend 80-90% of their time indoors, cleaning products can exacerbate these problems, especially if they have allergies or asthma.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Plain baking soda dissolved in water or sprinkled directly on surfaces and wiped with a damp sponge is a safe all-purpose cleaner. For greasy or tough stains, you can mix vinegar and salt for a scrubbing paste. The vinegar cuts the grease and the salt acts as a mild abrasive.
A mixture of Eucalyptus, bicarbonate soda and vinegar can be made up and used for cleaning all parts of the bathroom
DID YOU KNOW? Harsh cleaning products can leave behind chemical residue that can be absorbed into the skin when touched. Other problematic chemicals found in many household cleaners include crystalline silica, an irritant to the eyes and lungs and a likely carcinogen, and butyl cellosolve, which has been linked to kidney and liver problems and is reportedly toxic to forming cells. Something to think about the next time you soak in a bathtub washed with a toxic cleaner…
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: A mixture of Eucalyptus, bicarbonate soda and vinegar can be made up and used for cleaning all parts of the bathroom, including the toilet. It’s non-toxic for drains, and is great to disinfect, it deodorises, and is anti-bacterial.
DID YOU KNOW? You might think of dust as a benign substance, but research at Exeter University’s Greenpeace laboratory uncovered 35 hazardous chemicals in house dust, including flame retardants, solvents and petrol additives. Some of these were known to be either carcinogenic, toxic or damaging to the reproductive function and the immune system.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Forget all those dusting brooms and wands with disposable cloths—they’re wasteful and unnecessary. Hard-surface floors should be wet dusted with a mop. A dust mop can be shaken out outside—well away from open windows and doors—and thrown in the wash for easy cleaning. When it comes to furniture, a microfibre cloth is your best friend. The fine fibres cling to small particles, trapping those toxins, dander, skin cells and other dust components.
DID YOU KNOW? Bleach has a high pH which not only makes it ineffective in killing mould, it may actually provide it with a food source. After all, it was created as chemical warfare weapon in World War II- do you really want to be showering in something that harmful?
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Vinegar is the most effective way to kill mould. Make a solution from 80% white vinegar to 20% water and spray onto the affected area. Microfiber cloths are also a good idea for cleaning the area.
DID YOU KNOW? A queen sized bed is home to over 2 billion dust mites whilst a two year old pillow can contain up to 10% of its weight in dust mite faeces and carcasses!
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Make sure you wash your bedding frequently with eco-friendly products to ensure no nasties hang around where you sleep! A simple way to rid dust mites is to clean your mattress, carpet, and upholstered furniture using just baking soda and essential oils. Dust mites can be killed by using peppermint, eucalyptus or wintergreen essential oil. When combined with baking soda, which absorbs moisture, deodorizes and sanitizes, this powerhouse duo can be an extremely effective, natural, and non-toxic household cleaner.
DID YOU KNOW? Many liquid soaps that claim to kill 99.9% of germs actually contain a chemical called Triclosan, which is linked to liver and inhalation toxicity as well as cancer and can enter the body through the skin. Not only this, but it has also been linked to thyroid problems- pretty scary stuff!
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY: Use organic bar soap instead of chemical-laden liquid soaps. Not only will it be kinder to your body, but also to your wallet, as bar soaps last far longer than chemical-laden pump packs.